12 October 2008

Favourite Photo


The Romanov girls slept on camp beds and wore hand-me-downs to instill humility and altruism in them. They were brutally murdered by the Bolsheviks. As a child, I watched a documentary on this and the communist investigator admitted that those who walk into the room at Ipatiev house where they were killed- cannot remain unmoved. There is evil in the air.
Of course, this photo appeals to me not because of the obvious tragedy of regicide and revolution. It reminds me of my three sisters- we are all only a year or two apart like Olga, Tatiana, Marie and Anastasia. This photo is painfully beautiful; fragile. The eyes of the younger girls seem knowing of future bloodshed. The hard darkness of the room behind them suggest the yet unknowable and then such fine lace and pearls making the girls more ethereal.

1 comment:

tsheko said...

I agree with your observations. I find this portrait is powerful, haunting, eternal.