10 October 2012

A poem for my mother

My poem Mama (Nusya), was chosen for Offset Creative Arts Journal (Victoria University)

The poem is really about migration, assimilation and the generation gaps within families. My mother was born in a village in northern China, a village that didn't have paved roads or motor vehicles in the 1950s. In comparison, I was born in the western suburbs of Melbourne back when Billie Jean was in the charts and the Clash was rocking the Casbah and Prince was in his Little Red Corvette (god that makes ME feel old).
The western suburbs today are still home to migrants and often, homes in which people play '80s music.

Our neighbours come from countries as far-ranging as Vietnam and Ethiopia -- so many people have compelling and heartbreaking reasons why they can't stay in their homeland.

My aunt, who works for Queensland government, had this to say. 

It is also good to make people think of what new comers go through during the adjustment period. I still remember traumatic moments of disillusionment and I was only 9!


1 comment:

Yau Chiam said...

Could you have a read of your poem please? The link provided only shows the advertisement page.